Thursday, December 17, 2009

A GROAN ABOUT THE CANADIAN POST OFFICE AND OTHER STUFF

Friday, 18 December 2009. Hobart.

In an hour I’ll be on my way to the airport, to catch my flight to Melbourne, and although I’ll be back in Tasmania for four days in January today feels like the end of something. It’s appropriately overcast and drizzly. Yesterday the rain pelted down all day long, putting a halt to my plan to amble about with my camera, photographing the houses here which I find so charming, unexpected views of the Derwent I’ve come to look for on my walks downtown, and St. David’s Park. I also though I’d walk on Knocklofty for an hour or so …

The day was not without accomplishment, however. First thing in the morning I took my books to the post office and two post bags full are now hunkered somewhere in the system—to be literally shipped and make their way across the sea to Canada. 2-3 months is the estimated time it will take them to make the trip.

Let me note here, crankily, that the Canadian Post Office has lived down to its increasingly poor service record. I was unable to insure my books—the only parcels to Canada that can be insured must travel by courier or express post. That’s not an Australian requirement, but a Canadian one. I suppose there was one small blessing in that—the argument I was having with myself about whether to take advantage of a special book and paper rate here (called Print Post and using the aforementioned bags but without insurance) or regular sea mail, boxing the books was settled since no insurance at all was available …

I’ve been more than impressed by the speed and courtesy of the Post Office here in Australia. My friends here receive books mailed from Western Australia in the next morning’s mail, and that arrives usually before 10:a.m.

This morning I made a short walk to the local post office in the Tattersall’s on Hill Street, to mail a few last letters. I took some photographs along the way, roses blooming in front of small (in appearance at least) bungalows painted in soft colours. Often these cottage-seeming houses turn out either to stretch back a long way or, because of the topography here to grow at the back into two- or three-storey buildings.

I’m not taking my computer on my wanderings and so this blog may languish over the next three to four weeks. I know I’ll have access to the internet here and there along the way, but not precisely when. My family are, I believe, somewhere on Fiji by now, putting in the 10 hours they have there before continuing on to Melbourne. They are to arrive at midnight tonight. It will be good to see them all after three months.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Maureen, Peter, Katharine, and Jessica --
    Have a wonderful Christmas in Adelaide, and enjoy your Aussie travels together. Say hello to my beloved Maggie Island on your way up the coast to Cairns. And if you want company, look up my friend Hilary Whitehouse (who teaches at JCU, Cairns campus)...great people. Have a safe and happy vacation and all the best in the new year...

    ReplyDelete