Tuesday, September 8, 2009

D-DAY

for departure, or I suppose it could be F, for fly … It’s 9:a.m., and my suitcase is packed, my carry-on as well, swelling with coat, shawl, and change of clothing, extra books, my cameras (yes, plural, I’m taking Peter’s digital one as well). In a little red blanket-cloth pouch with a black bear’s claw appliquéd on it I’ve got my passport, ticket, and new iPod – the pouch hangs round my neck where I can get at it easily. That is, if it isn’t trapped in the over-the-shoulder straps of my purse and my computer bag …

The day here has begun overcast and still. A flurry of esxcited voices and cars around 8:30 marked kids going back to school for the first day. Traffic will be heavier on the roads to the airport than it has been.

Things I haven’t done: figured out how to change the time on the watch that Peter gave me, or how to silence the two-beep note it utters at every hour; finished my letter to Jan Horner; mailed a couple of packages, cleaned the bathroom sink…

On the other hand I’ve loaded CDs, including several episodes of the Dead Dog Café into my computer and transferred them to the iPod for company on the long flight from LA to Melbourne—18 hours the ticket says. I’ve not tried to calculate the number of hours overall that I’ll be in transit, in that odd between space of airports and planes, with little scenery to beguile the eye. But it is astonishing that I can get to the other side of the world within a couple of days—this is a big planet! And though airplanes are not cozy or comfortable, they’re Class A accommodation compared to the ships the convicts and settlers sailed on a couple of centuries ago.

I think things are in as good order as possible. I’ve confirmed my flights, but the computer would not issue me boarding passes. Instead I got a confirmation notice stating in bold type that “local authorities at one of the airports in your itinerary require that you obtain your boarding pass at the airport.” Which airport I wonder? I’ll be in several: Toronto, Chicago, LA, Melbourne, before I reach Hobart. What questions or doubts about me do these local authorities have? I’ll find out in a couple of hours.

2 comments:

  1. Maureen --

    By now, you'll be topsy-turvy, with your body a half-day off itself... (I found it took a day per hour's difference to feel my feet on the ground), but I hope the journey, although long, was uneventful in the best sense -- a bit of Gracie Heavyhands, a few tunes, and perhaps a nap or two. What a wonderful adventure this is, and I'm wishing all the best for you.

    Last night we could see the space station overhead, trailed by Discovery, and who knows, perhaps they crossed your path as you were in the air. It's warmish here, but with a fall breeze that is invigorating, reminding us that fall is here, and you're heading into spring. I'm very much looking forward to reading your blog and catching up on your news.

    Love
    Lorri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear L -- Good to hear from you. I'm beginning to feel in place here so far as time goes, but I don't have my hill legs yet and am as creaky and stiff as can be every morning. The weather changes several times a day, as my friends had said it would. I can see Mount Wellington and snatches of the Derwent R. from the window in front of "my" desk and watch weather come and go.

    Love, M.

    ReplyDelete