Sunday, October 18, 2009

BOOKS I READ AT LAKE ST CLAIR

One of the great pleasures of time away from the regular daily routines is time to read, and while I was at Lake St Clair I indulged myself pretty thoroughly --

Van Diemonian Essays,
by Pete Hay (a wonderful selection of essays on Tasmania and arguments for local identity)
The Walk: Notes on a Romantic Image, by Jeffrey C. Robinson
A Book of Silence, by Sara Maitland
Nameless Earth, by Robert Gray (gorgeous poems)
I am here and not not-there, by Margaret Avison (autobiography, engrossing)
who wants to create australia? by Martin Harrison (intelligent and compelling essays on poetry)
The River Wife, by Heather Rose
Cross-pollinations, by Gary Paul Nabhan

I also spent a fair bit of time paging through the staff library in the Visitor Centre, learning specifics about birds in particular, but also glancing at material on trees and geology. And then there were the papers stacked up for starting the fire--they included a few review sections from The Australian, so I had a good time browsing those before I burned them.

No comments:

Post a Comment