Sunday, October 11, 2009

TECHNOLOGY -- AND WEATHER

Today -- Monday, October 12 -- is my last full day here at Lake St Clair. It's overcast and chilly, though the sun scraped through for a few moments earlier. I'm not complaining; we've had several warm sunny days in a row. Russell, sitting beside me in the office just remarked, after glancing out the window, that the rain's about to arrive! I'll head back to the little house and hunker by the fire with my book, Margaret Avison's autobiography, just published by Porcupine's Quill.

About the technology, I have some small accomplishments to claim. I now have bird-in-the-hand available on my iPod, and can report that the lovely resonant calls I've been hearing just off the walk to Watersmeet (and near its beginning) are the shrike-thrush. I've seen the bird itself, right outside the little house several days ago, but didn't hear it sing. It's fun to press the sound icon and hear the calls, several of which are familiar to me now. Well, maybe I mean recognizable rather than familiar since much about this place is definitely still unknown and seems to change from day to day -- even that trail to Watersmeet. It develops new curves or slopes, I swear, from one day to the next!.

And the other accomplishment is, I've figured out how to use the little microphone with my iPod so I've been taping ... hmmm ... recording sounds along walks and outside my house. The mic is slightly larger than a large eraser, but of course meant to capture, not erase, and it seems surprisingly sensitive for something so small. I've listened to some of what I've recorded on my computer and was happy to discover that it records bird songs as well as the somewhat relentless tramp of my feet. I hope to learn how to clip out parts of these recordings so I can include some of the birdcalls in the blog eventually.

No comments:

Post a Comment