Wednesday, October 7, 2009

QUESTIONS I'VE ASKED AT ONE TIME OR ANOTHER

Do currawongs mob hawks and owls?
What is mallee?
Will I ever see a platypus?
Where is the big for garbage?
Are dusky robins seen in this area?
How will I get back to Hobart? When?
Are rhododendron and waratah related?
What happened to my memorystick?
Does it really rain on one end of my roof and not the other?
What are the implications of "sclerophyll"? Do I know how to spell that correctly?
Will I see an echidna?
What are the crescent honeyeaters after when they scramble up the trunks of the little eucalyptus outside my window?
Will I ever get my bird notes caught up?
How do you clean gaiters?
Will I be able to find a copy of Pete Hay's Vandiemonian Essays to buy?
Why can't I find bird-in-the-hand in my iPod?
Why have all three of my ballpoint pens gone dry at the same time?
Do thornbills ever slow down enough to be seen clearly?
What's the name of that ..... ?
Etc.

2 comments:

  1. Added to all those questions is one of my own. I've just emailed you links to both RM Vaughan's interview in today's G&M with the woman who made the documentary on crows and to the video clip from the film, which will air on CBC's The Nature of Things Sunday Oct. 11. According to the clip, "crows are to be found in every part of the planet except Antarctica", so I wonder if you have seen any in the park. From a website on the Corvidae I did find out a little about the Australian crow (Corvus orru), which is found in Tasmania but doesn't breed there. You know how fond I am of crows (and I have yet to tell you about my raven experience at Banff) so please pass my greetings on to Corvus orru. -- Norma

    "

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Norma,
    There are actually no crows in Tasmania itself, I'm told, only the Forest Raven, which I've seen around Hobart and in the high country past Shadow Lake here, and the Little Raven, which if I remember correctly is a recent arrival and found only in the more northern parts of Tasmania.

    ReplyDelete