Monday, October 5, 2009

GLITCHES

It's been several days since I"ve posted anything here. Since my own computer arrived I've written up some blog postings at "home", intending to upload them via my memory stick. This morning I discover that the memory stick is not working -- maybe it doesn't like the weather, or ... ?? So those posts will have to wait until I'm back in Hobart.


In the meantime, life has been full and busy. I've spent a day on the trails with one of the rangers -- more about that in another posting -- that was wonderful and exhausting. My friends from Hobart, Kevin and Irene McGuire came up for a day visit on Sunday when the weather was gorgeous and sunny. We talked and walked around, had a late lunch at the Hungry Wombat Cafe in Derwent Bridge (very delicious soups there, if you're in the neighbourhood) and then drove to Pumphouse Point, a very early Hydro Station. The old pumphouse and is dated 1940. It's a gorgeous building and so is another one, beautifully proportioned with lovely art deco motifs here and there. I believe there's a plan underway to convert them to accommodation -- a very fine idea. On the road in we passed lots of common heath in bloom, and one adult wombat rooting in the undergrowth right beside the road. It let us get a good look at it before trundling off into the undergrowth. At the pumphouse we were swarmed my very tiny insects of some sort, all around our faces and heads, clinging to jackets and hats. They finally drove us back to the car.


This morning I watched what I took to be a young Bennett's wallaby browse on the bushes at the back of the yard. It also appeared to me watching me for awhile, and then moved on. A few moments ago snow was falling into the parking lot, now the sun is gleaming--but the clouds are about to erase it once again.


I'm reading a very very interesting collection of essays on Australian poetry by Martin Harrison-- who wants to create australia? A book I found on Irene's shelves, but that I hope to own myself eventually.

No comments:

Post a Comment